Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Little Town With The Heart of Gold

That's what it says on their koozies anyway. I happen to agree! This little TINY town (population 200 tiny) sits on the Yuba River, and all the people are just as kind and easygoing as it gets. It should also be mentioned that this was my first meeting with BF's mother, and she couldn't be better. She is a sweet, laid back, friendly woman who made me feel very welcome. I am glad she is who she is, because if she were different- she could make life very tough for me.

The road in:

One of the many beautiful views. I am sure the view from that little red house is even better.
THIS is his mother's backyard. It was awfully warm in Washington during the day, but that water is actually from melting snowcaps, so it was just the thing to have at your disposal.
Hummingbirds are all over out there, and this was one of the shots from the trip that made me feel like my photography is coming along. Baby steps, baby steps, and a bit of luck.
the little schoolhouse. It's just darling, and the fun thing about it is that while there was one room for 1st-4th grades (8 desks), there were brand new Macs all about the little school. Technology- it REALLY is everywhere.

This is the gold that we found while panning in the river! How cool is that?

Poor Man's Creek. Apparently $4 million worth of gold came out of this creek at one time.
And finally the little hotel/ which also houses the town's only restaurant and only bar.
This truly is a magical place. I would love to live somewhere like it one day. The pace of life, the time you have to appreciate the very simple things- it appeals to me. Not quite yet, but one day. One day.

1 comment:

nancyrosetta said...

My Dad grew up in Pullman, WA. I have visited my grandparents there a few times over the years...many years ago. They are both gone now. It's really an amazing part of the country, beautiful. I would love to go back.