Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bliss

Today is already shaping up to be the best day ever.

This morning BF and I got up for early breakfast with friends. that's always nice.

After that, I headed downtown for the yarn store's birthday sale. almost everything (but the really really good stuff, ahem) was 40% off for the first part of the sale. I arrived with a shopping bag, a list, and sheer determination. This is the last purchase I am allowed to make before my trip. No more. My yarn cabinet is full, and I must empty it by way of using up yarn before I can have anymore. I left a loophole in this promise by saying no more YARN, which does not include needles of any sort. So anyhow, in the course of saving $50, and spending a bit more than that (kind of a big bit) I now have enough yarn to finish my capelet (I hope I hope I hope) and make three summer tops, all of which I plan to take on my vacation. Fun stuff, huh? Normally I abhor shopping. It's boring, I hate people, and I never know what I want, and I wrestle with wondering if I really want something, or if I just want to buy it more so than have it and use it. Then I curse my consumerist mentality, and vow never to shop again. But this was different. I brought a list. I brought a shopping bag. I left with nothing that was off the list. I have plans for all of it. I am victorious.

BF is gone for the day. WHAT'S THAT? Sorry, i can't hear myself think over the choir of angels that begins to sing whenever I say that. He's out doing some work with a friend on the disc golf course, then cooking out, then playing a round or so of golf. This means that I have the house all to my glorious solitary self. Most likely till dinner. I feel silly- I have been giggling to myself maniacally thinking about the cleaning that I plan to do. Cleaning and actually putting things away. Finding places for stuff. Deodorizing things. Then, locking the animals out, and basking in the cleanliness. Then napping, on the couch, or maybe in the middle of the bed- on clean sheets of course. Or maybe I should have one nap on each? Then a bubble bath in a clean tub? Lots of Style Channel? Hopefully there's a Golden Girls marathon! Oh, thank you, universe. Thank you for this day of alone time. I promise to use it well; if you can keep the rain away then I might be alone long enough to sew something.

I also would like to mention that there is an exhausted foxhound at my feet. she has spent the morning playing with her new sister, running, smiling and wagging her tail. I am sure the downstairs neighbors didn't appreciate the stampede, but I sure do. I can't believe the change in this little dog. I have had her for 13 months, and she went from completely shut down emotionally to a normal dog. I find maya very inspiring when I think back on this year. I think that a lot of people could benefit from trying to be like her. No matter what you do to her, she never lashes out, not even out of fear. She's overcome God-Only-Knows-What and learned how to trust, no matter how scary that is. And she always knows when to go to a quiet place and take time out when it gets to be too much. I'm so proud of her, and I am proud of me too. She is the first thing that I didn't give up on when things got tough. I am glad I stuck with her.

Have a wonderful weekend. I hope it's filled with clean floors and sale yarn and friends that make you smile, no matter how many legs they have.

5 comments:

froghair said...

I'll be doing the same thing today: going to the first craft fair of the season with a bag and a shopping list. hurray for planning ahead!

Sooze said...

Yay You! Shopping? List? And nothing that wasn't on it? I didn't know such a thing was possible! You give me hope!

And yay Maya! AND YOU! It's hard not to give up when they've peed on the carpet yet again (at least that's how it is here) even after crates and enzymes and no go and discipline...You rock for giving sweet Maya such an awesome home!

Ricë said...

good for both of you!

Anonymous said...

Hey you! I miss seeing you around. Catching up on the Adventures of Miss Holly...sounds like you've been busy!

Lynn

nancyrosetta said...

Yay for Maya! I am so happy for you all! Give Charlie my condolences.