Friday, December 4, 2009

No Paycheck Fridays: Some Reading For You

Okay so:

I realize that I am relatively new to this whole Not So Very Employed thing. However, I have given this a lot of thought. Obsessed over it, if we are being honest here. And I have decided a few things.

  • I will soldier on and have the Merriest of Holidays, and there's nothingyoucandoabouddit!
  • I will continue to laugh at this. Sometimes maniacally.
  • I am smart and sometimes downright ingenious when I need to be. I forecast needing to channel MacGuyver in the near future.
  • I am not alone. As such, I feel obligated to share with you what I learn and know to be true. It's my way of paying you back, because you know- if we go out for dinner or something you are totally paying. Suckling upon the government teat and all.
  • I hate the word teat.
So, first I would like to mention some Reading For The Unemployed. Or reading for the Employed Who Like To Laugh. Whichever. Read Bitter is The New Black by Jen Lancaster. Or, pass it along to a friend. I got it this summer from my local library. It's full of awesome. I don't recommend it as a holiday gift, because I think that it would be filed along with other Unintentionally Insulting gifts, like giving a chubby college girl lots of work out clothing and a pilates set (I'm looking at YOU, Mom!), or wrinkle cream to...any woman. Still- the book is hilariously funny, and there is a good deal of Schadenfreude for those of you into that sort of thing. I totally am, so it was wonderful reading along as a very materialistic bitch got her comeuppance. She is so lovably terrible that by the end of the book I would have had her over for a bowl of Ramen Noodles and a walk around the block with the dogs. I'd even let her walk Maya (Lilly is strong as an ox, and it takes a Herculean effort to get her to act like she has a lick of sense on walks.).

And then, once you love her as much as I do, you can toddle on over to www.Jennsylvania.com and read her blog, which is also hilarious. I find her so funny that I forgive her for her obsession with Twilight.

1 comment:

Sooze said...

Ahhh I found Jen this past summer as well! I love her, probably because she realizes she is so ridiculous! Read her other books too, all soooo funny! (And yes, she is funny enough to forgive her for the twilight obsession.)