Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hello, New Decade (and Old Blog)

Belated Happy New Year!

Despite a bevy of circumstance around here that aren't conducive to regular blogging, I have returned. It was a hectic, crazy, wild and sort of stressful holiday season, and frankly, I am glad to see it is over. Now we come to the good part- the part where I sit down with the formidable stack of books that I got for Christmas, and feel perplexed, inspired, delighted, moved- and almost transformed.

Isn't that just the most lovely stack of brand new paper from all over blogland? And if I do say so myself, they all compliment each other wonderfully.

Creative Time and Space is just the best book. It's not terribly lengthy, but I am only halfway through it. I like to read a bit, try some things out, then think on what I have read, and then when I feel duly inspired and ready, I sit down and read another chapter or so. It is truly changing the way that I think, and helping me get a leg up on that which confounds me so, especially in light of the changes in my life: Time, and Time For Art. I love it, although BF has threatened to take it away from me. He was not pleased when I announced that with the help of my (now broken, grrrr) pear shaped kitchen timer, I would only be doing an hour of house related things a day, so he better pick up after himself. He was further displeased when I told him where to shove his displeasure. And so it goes at the House of Stupid.

The printing books and the sewing books are sort of like great cross training, if one was to consider crafting a sport. I am very excited about them- I want to cover everything in patchwork, then dip it in bleach, then dye, then rub stamps all over it all, and possibly work a silk screen in there too. Inspiration and guidance are sort of the perfect mix there. I am all tingly.

As for the knitting book- I am sure you will hear more about that. There is a sweater coat inside it, The Winter Wonderland Coat for those of you on Ravelry that I simply must have. It's long, has many complicated charts, much sewing, and is likely way over my head. I can't wait to get started. One of my goals this year is to knit something grand, and huge and awe-inspiring. I figure if I start now, I will have it finished by October.

and finally- those food books. Wow, Well Preserved. I didn't think that I could get so excited about canning. But I think that it's the combo of canning with the delicious recipes for that which has been preserved that had me literally drooling on the pages. Seriously. I looked like Lilly- she gets these disgusting dangly Drool Strings sometimes when she watches people eat. It's very unbecoming, but like a big burp- it's a Complement To The Chef. As for a Homemade Life- do you guys read Orangette ever, and long for more frequent updates? Well, this book- oh it's so wonderful. It is the first time that a book with recipes has moved me to almost tears. The stories that go along with each recipe are so personal and wonderfully ordinary- featuring extraordinary people that I keep it on my nightstand and read one chapter before bed each night. I am trying to stretch it out so that I can enjoy it for longer. It's hard not to read it all in one day though.

So, that's what I am up to as of right now. I'd love to share more about my goals for the year and all that, but my allotted computer time is drawing to a close, and I have yet to check the bank balance. See? A New Leaf is turning over here, people. I'm very much looking forward to whatever this year will bring. And, I am also hoping to spend much more time in this space. (yeah yeah I know, but hey- New Leaf).

1 comment:

Sooze said...

I heart you! Love your stack of books, and am going to rush out to purchase a couple of them! Here's to the New Leaf! :)