Thursday, January 7, 2010

I Hate Knitting

this is the last of the holiday knitting. This is also the project that made me decide that I hate knitting. why? Because it outsmarts me sometimes purely by highlighting how much i like to neglect actually reading and digesting instructions. It shines a big light on how much of a doofus I really am. I hate that. As such, I hate knitting.

This project is for a friend. The yarn is perfect. The pattern is perfect. If she could design knitwear for herself, this would be the pattern she would design. And that really sucks because that means that I have to finish this project, even though I got almost one whole mitt done before admitting to myself that something was off. WAY off.

Apparently you get gauge and THEN go down two needle sizes. I neglected to do that. What resulted is a mitt knitted to be a women's Medium- but the fit was more appropriate for Shrek, or some other monster with scary large hands. Ugh. I have to say though- I love my BF and his support of my crafting (although it's at odds with his love of my doing chores). He tried the mitt on, and as it was literally sagging off his hand, his big Man Hand, he said, "Well...it's not so bad. I mean it's not THAT big. She does have big hands...right?" Bless his heart.

And so, it's back to the drawing board. Back to an 8 page pattern, with miles of charts, cables, bobbles, picking up stitches, and other things that do not lend themselves to mindless knitting. This time though, it's with the right size needles, and that's something.

No comments: