Sunday, April 5, 2009

Charlie is 6 Today

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to take good pics of kitties? Just when they look all perfectly posed and handsome, they have to be weird and start romancing rocking chairs. It's so strange.

Today, Charlie turns 6 years old. He's eaten catnip and fried chicken. I thought about making him a hat but I knew better. I like my skin where it is, thankyouverymuch.

Did I ever tell you about when I got old Mr. Fatty Bear? I went to the SPCA after just having my heart broken by a Boy that I thought was Very Special. In retrospect, he really wasn't that special at all. Anyway, I went to the SPCA, determined to find someone to love me. I went hoping to find an adult female cat.

Instead, I found three black and white kittens, asleep on each other in their litter box. I took out the first one, a boy named Merlin, and took him to the Interview Room. Merlin sort of...sat there. He was okay, but not really very interesting. I looked at him. He looked at me. I put him back in his cage. Next was a little girl named Lilly. I put Lilly on the floor, and she scrambled to hide under the couch in the Interview Room. I looked at her. She looked at me. I put her back in the cage, and grabbed a tiny little guy named Joshua. Ahem. Joshua opened his eyes, leapt out of my arms, and climbed the little fake potted tree in the Interview Room. Then flung himself from there to the couch. Then from there he jumped from the back of the couch to my pants leg and climb up. Five minutes later, I was signing paperwork for him!
Obviously he underwent a name change. He's much more of a Charlie than a Joshua. I mean really, with that big goofy moustache, where the hell did Joshua come from? Had I known then what I know now I would have named him Headache, since he's pure pain and discomfort. And fuzzy and sweet and silly and handsome. He was my first pet in my Adult Life, the first one that has relied solely on me for everything. I am impressed we have made it this far.

5 comments:

BeadWhisperer said...

He's so very handsome! I love the mustache! Happy Birthday to Charlie from Ames Yankee Kitty Extravaganza!

Kerry said...

Happy Borthday Charlie... From the very very rotten 7 months old Jack Tiberious Rusty Bogert, aka Russel Sprouts.

Sooze said...

I had a cat that looked exactly like that...Named CHARLIE! How freaky is that?!?!?!?

Happy Birthday Charlie!

Holly said...

Charlie says thanks everybody!

Wait that's a lie. He's a cat so he just yawned, turned around and showed you his butt.

Sooze, that's crazy! Mustache cats are the best cats.

Ricë said...

happy belated birthday, charlie!