Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Landing at CharlesTowne

In our continuous search for things to do that don't cost a lot, we are playing tourist a lot. I am also playing Intrepid Photographer, and it's been loads of fun. Last weekend (again, painfully late on the pics, but oh well) we went to a hidden gem of educational fun that's just right down the street from me- CharlesTowne Landing!

It's loads of fun, and I got some pretty good pics. We ended up going twice that weekend- once without the dogs, once with them. Maya LOVED it. You could really see her little hunting dog instincts come out- she had her nose to the ground at all times, splashed through puddles, and pointed at things that we might be interested in (but could not see since we are not goofy dogs). Anyway, by taking most of the trails you end up doing several miles' worth of walking. It's good clean fun for only $5. Can't beat it.

You can click any picture to enlarge, but be warned that in doing so, the pic will REALLY enlarge. I didn't really resize them, as I am planning something for a lot of them.

A blue heron at the shorebirds Exhibit. He was SOOOO close to me. I mean, kind of scary close. the exhibit is very cool; its a marshy area that's sort of netted so that the birds can't get away, and you just mingle with them. I was sort of afraid of having my eyes pecked out, but they really don't seem to be interested in people at all.
since when were bison native to SC? I really am calling shenanigans on that idea, but then again what do I know?

The magnolias are beautiful, and huge there. This was the pic that showed me that I have indeed mastered the manual focus.
Shortly after the Triumph de Magnolia Picture, it became very overcast, and stayed that way for the rest of the weekend. So, I switched to black and white, or occasionally sepia. I really liked the effect it had on the live oaks.
It is at this spot that I was once held at knifepoint by a gang of wayward turtles. I am serious- they know that people have snacks, and will give them to you if you can manage to outnumber them. I surrendered my snacks and made it out alive.
A tree. Some oars. Yup.
Maya taking a rest in the shade. Find me a prettier face with a more gentle soul behind prettier brown eyes, and I will go back and fight those turtles bare-handed.
I will confess something to you. I have been walking under these oaks since I was little, and each time I still feel the same way. Especially when it's overcast, my imagination gets the best of me. It was gray, just a bit breezy and sort of ominous. I lagged behind everyone, taking pictures, staring up at the trees, and I have to say- I spooked myself out. I thought about being lost and alone in a spooky forest, and what sort of boogie boogies might be waiting to pounce on the one lonely girl who got separated from the rest. I literally ran to catch up with the others. I've always been that way, easily spooked by an extremely active imagination.
This guy almost gave me a heart attack! We heard a CHOMP! sound, and then a big splash, and you have never seen someone scoop up her 40 pound dog so fast. There are signs all over that warn of alligators, and I was sure it was a huge one with a taste for either foxhounds or girls with cameras, or both. It turned out to be just a little 5 or so footer (Dept. of Natural Resources won't even come get a gator that size and remove it even if you wake up one morning and see it at your kitchen table, eating your terrier and reading the paper!) and i think the splash was him moving to get away from us, but I sure did my best to get away from him.
Yet another place in which I lagged behind and spooked myself out. I have never gotten the courage up to see what's behind those gates. At this point, I am sure it's some park offices, or a lounge for the rangers. Maybe a soda machine and a place to store the golf carts they drive around. But if you let your mind wander a bit, maybe there are ghosts back there in a creaky old house, or shadows that move around amongst the moss. Maybe.

1 comment:

Ricë said...

i know exactly what you mean. i walk through the grounds of the museum twice a day. but let me go through there at night, when the wind is blowing the vane and making it creak, and i remember the most recent murder there, when it was still a mansion (i'm sure there must have been others before, although no one mentions any), and my heart will pound and i'll have to start singing really loudly and scarily to keep myself from making a mad dash for the gate. eeek.