Monday, June 22, 2009

Oh For Crying Out Loud

I tell you what.

Planning this trip may very well get the best of me. I have stressed over money; that part is out of the way. But apparently planning is something that even I didn't realize that I have such an affinity for.

It's eating me alive.

I have a massive envelope containing all of our confirmations and e-tickets thus far. This envelope gets bigger by the day. I have them saved in email too. I have lists, links, maps, routes, prices, and every other thing you can imagine. I have made an itinerary. I add to it. Frequently. And now, I have been given permission to totally abandon BF in the planning process. This is now my project, my fixation, my madness.

I've been making lists.

I don't know when I did this, but I made- are you ready for this? a List of Lists to Make. Yep, I did. Every other list now becomes a sub-list to the List of Lists. Is this a sign of a problem. I fear it is so. The List of Lists is really a peek into my insanity at this point:

Things to Get
Things to Make (yay)
Things to Do
Things to Pack
Things to Plan (wtf?)
Things to Pack to Make

Things to Pack to Make. What? What is that? The best I can figure is that it's a list of knitting to bring along. But really. Why didn't I type Knitting to Pack? or just Knitting? Things to Pack to Make. Huh.

The dorkiness, it's reached Epic Proportions. I feel bad for BF. I think he's resenting this trip, and the fact that it's taken over my life.

5 comments:

froghair said...

oh no! oh, the irony of how a trip that is meant to relax you ends up stressing you out more than you were to begin with! I hope it comes together soon, and that you and BF can look forward to it together, instead of dragging yourselves through it.

Sooze said...

I feel for you. I do this very thing. OY.

Holly said...

oh don't you worry, froghair! This is pure unadulterated joy. I always said that I should have been a travel agent. I LOVE this sort of thing, and I am sure that this trip will be EPIC, and not because of BF's belief that we should plan nothing and it will all work out. Hmph.

Anonymous said...

From one compulsive list maker to another I say "back away from the lists".
Make a spreadsheet instead. Seriously.
Each day has it's own page of phone numbers, mileage, directions, tickets, clothes you might need, googled restaurants etc. Then put in a 3 ring notebook with pocket pages for the e-tickets.

Ricë said...

i hate to tell you how normal this sounds to me, lest that be the straw that breaks your back. fortunately for you, i'm just now reading this two weeks after the fact, so you're surely far away and enjoying the trip at this point and don't have to think, "omigod, i sound like that crazy woman!"

hope it's a wonderful trip.

avoid bakersfield.