Tuesday, November 24, 2009

In Which I strive to Remain Grateful.

Hello friends!

Luckily at this point you don't depend on regular posts from me. If you do, at this point you are probably rocking back and forth in a corner somewhere. Anyhow.

This week is shaping up to be a busy one. I have been planning out decorations, rabidly cleaning the house in anticipation of the arrival of The Mothers, and making list after list of what needs to happen in order to feed the masses on Thursday. And by masses, i mean all four of us.

I'm making all manner of goodies- turkey, oyster dressing, honey glazed carrots, green bean bundles, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (i look forward to these all year long), rolls, the ubiquitious cranberry sauce in a can, and caramel pecan pie and pumpkin cranberry bars. I am excited and can't wait to feed everyone.

It should also be noted that i am doing double duty at the gym to counteract what will be the most calories ever consumed at one sitting.

I have tried really really hard to keep my heart in the right place this year. We have donated food, I worked hard for a cause that matters so very much to me (more about that tomorrow) and I am looking forward to a long week filled with family and friends. I try to consciously be thankful for things that I take without question all year: my family and friends, their health, the adoration and company of my wonderful if perpetually irritating furry friends, the way the river looks when the water is perfectly still, and the fact that i still have a good job in an industry that is sucking it hard right now.

But I was laid off yesterday.

I have work through the end of the year. I may have health insurance for a few months as a bit of a parting gift. I have a roof over my head, and people that care about me and will help me if i need it. I am smart, resourceful, and i make a mean quiche. I know all this and I am sort of clinging to it right now. I will be okay. And for that I am thankful.

As such, it seems that true gratitude takes a lot of effort. But, if it is harder than cooking a turkey for the first time, then it's all downhill from here.

4 comments:

Sooze said...

I don't even know what to say Hols, but having been there, I know you'll come through okay :o)
that said...cooking a turkey is pretty simple...the key is to not OVER cook it. :) Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

froghair said...

***HUUUUG!***

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the job. I know you are resourceful and something will come your way.
You will always remember cooking your first Thanksgiving dinner. The hardest part is getting it all done at the same time. You have a list of things to do in order don't you? Oh, I didn't even need to ask.

Ricë said...

thinking really warm and encouraging thoughts for you. i'm imagining there's a job out there waiting for you, one that's Perfect For You. ♥