Thursday, November 5, 2009

Knitting for Tiny People

I made this cute little set a while back. I have yet to mail it to the itty bitty recipient because...I suck. However, here it is.



So, here's the sweater, which is the Baby Yoda Sweater for those on Ravelry. I made it out of Lion Cotton (I would never give a new parent something not machine washable- NEVER). I will tell you a funny story about why it took me two tries to make this sweater. See, the first time, it came time to seam the peices together. That is when I learned that I hate nothing more than seaming. This is good info to have, as it caused me to basically burn my seater queue to the ground. I HATE SEAMING. So anyway, I started seaming the little sweater together, and sure enough- I was not paying attention and seamed it ALL THE WAY UP ON BOTH FLIPPING SIDES. I made a Baby Yoda Straight Jacket. Yep. Nothing says "Congrats on that little person you shot out of your no-no's!" like a Baby Straight Jacket. Unless if by "Congrats on the little person!" you mean "Quick! Restrain them AT ONCE!"

So then there's the little shoes. Aren't they adorable. They are so cute they make me want to throw up on myself. they were a pain in the ass to make, but they are just so damned adorable, I will probably make the,m again. They are the ubiquitious Saartje's Bootees, once again in Lion Cotton. The color is way more accurate in the top photo.


So minus the Straight Jacket incident, I am very happy with this knit. The second time I did it, I did it bottom up in the round, separated for the armholes, then did three needle bind off at the shoulders. Picked up stitches for the sleeves (a lesser evil than seaming, but an evil all the same) and knit the sleeves from the top down. I am not smart enough to think of this alone- I read the mods on someone's Rav project page. Just another reason why it's an amazing resource, that Ravelry.

If for some very odd reason, I ever report to you that I am With Child, remind me of the Baby Yoda Straight Jacket. I will make a few of them in several colors, and never have to worry about keeping breakable things out of reach. Hell, maybe I should patent them. They could be the next Snuggie.

No comments: