Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Miscellany

mis⋅cel⋅la⋅ny

–noun, plural -nies.
1. a miscellaneous collection or group of various or somewhat unrelated items.
2. a miscellaneous collection of literary compositions or pieces by several authors, dealing with various topics, assembled in a volume or book.
3. miscellanies, a miscellaneous collection of articles or entries, as in a book.


No posts in a week, and my triumphant return is tidbits of a miscellaneous nature. Oh well, it's my blog, I do what I want.

First of all, a good bit of my silence is due to a serious case of Creative Constipation. I have had so many ideas, so many lists, so many lists of lists and random piles, collections and what not- it was all starting to get backed up. Something had to give. I think that I just had some sort of idea overload, and no real logical way to pick what to do next. So I did what any sane person would do:
I took a pickle jar, wrote down some things I want to do on scraps of paper, folded them up, and stuffed them in. Sadly, this is just a sampling of the things from the 'Things To Make' bookmark folder that I have on my computer. This is stuff that I either have laying around or am willing to go out and buy pretty much right away. Oh, and there's some creative equivalents to FREE SPACE in there too- they say Knit! or Cast on for Something New! which should be fun. the pickle jar looks kind of imposing from that angle, huh?

I am taking the Freeze your Buns! Challenge and I finally turned my heat on yesterday. We have had a cold snap the past few days with highs only in the mid 40's! That's pretty effing cold for here, and this time of year too. Now I have the heat set on 60, and it has kicked on once since I have been home tonight, and it was very breif. It was on quite a bit this morning, but oh well. Getting out of bed is hard enough as it is without it being like 50 in my house when I wake up. Just when I was about to crack the other day, my power bill came in the mail. Forty five bucks! That renewed my determination.

I mentioned lists before, and after reading a post on a random blog that I think was linked to from JC Handmade (thanks for the tip Kerry!), I also found a way to start tackling the things that have been causing me tons of anxiety, and proving how consistently fail I can be sometimes. It was on the nature of lists. I love lists. I love making them, crossing things off of them. One more than one occasion i have made lists of lists to make! Anyway it all gets overwhelming, and allows no time for anything other than doing stuff. So now I have like 5-7 things on the list a day. They are including a self pampering/maintenance thing, a cleaning thing, an organizing thing, a creative thing, and a purging thing, and a holiday/errand/random task thing. It's fun! I like seeing my to do list look like tomorrow's: paint toenails, wash windows, clean out nightstand drawer, work on rug for kitchen, clean out underwear drawer (what?!? don't act like you don't have to go through now and again and get rid of the ones that are past their prime!), gather up sticks for starting fires (only in my fireplace, I promise!). Anything else I do is icing on the cake. Anything else I don't do is no big deal at all. I like setting myself up for victory.

Um, what else?

I am heading to my dad's for Thanksgiving. I only see him once a year, at Thanksgiving, so this will be nice. It will be a full house, but the holiday is always really laid back with lots of just hanging out. i plan to be computer free and spend a lot of quality time with my knitting. I have three projects that I will be taking along, so I hope to have a few things to show for being gond so long. I will, however, miss my animals terribly.

Upon returning, the full fledged mania of Christmas crafting begins. I know that I said that I wouldn't be making anything this year, but I feel like I have to. Part of the specialness of the season is the giving, and although things are tight this year, it just wouldn't be the same without sending gifts off in the mail. I have a few things planned out (and put in the pickle jar!), and the majority of them come from stuff I have pretty much readily available at the house. I will still get jolly if it's the last thing i do, dammit!

Yeah, that's really all I have to report for now. I hope you all are staying warm and gearing up for the holidays!


2 comments:

nancyrosetta said...

I have to say firstly that I have been living this non heat challenge since the cold began. We have not turned our furnace up over 59 and I am freezing my buns off already. We wear our house cozy stuff a lot...fleece, flannel, and throw blankets keep us warm. Crocheting wool keeps me warm, too.

I love your lists, I am not a list person, although I wish I was, I would probably get more done if I was, but alas, I am not.

Anonymous said...

I am so a list person--as you know I seem to over do things at times. I like your jar idea though.