Tuesday, November 4, 2008

VOTE!

Today is such an exciting day. History will be made, one way or the other.

I am very afraid. I am afraid that people are scared of what they don't understand. I am scared that people will believe the lies in their inboxes, forwarded to them by their friends and relatives. I am scared of people who are scared of people's middle names. I am scared that apathy will undercut the excitement, and that people won't go out and vote because they think that "their guy" has it locked up.

But I am hopeful. I am more hopeful than I am afraid. I hope that the middle class can become appropriately strong again; strong enough to carry the weight of the entire country like it has for the entire history of our country. I am hopeful that soon there will be enough people in power that want to stop fighting that we will be able to responsibly end our occupation of Iraq. I am hopeful that in 4 years things will be better than they are now. I hope that for the first time since I have been able to vote, my guy will win.

The cool thing is, I know lots and lots of other people who are filled with hope too. I know that everything won't be fixed, and I know that to an extent there is a bit of 'more of the same' associated with politicians, but I don't think that it has to be this way this time. I think that in the midst of a totally sucky economy, the revelation that the world thinks we sort of suck, and that we are basically laying waste to everything we come in contact with... there's still a chance that it isn't too late to turn things around. Maybe if enough people continue to pay attention, and continue to give a shit, we can still fix it. Hope kicks ass.

And so do doughnuts! Krispy Kreme is offering a free doughnut to people who show their "I VOTED" sticker on election day. I am totally hitting it up. Participation in democracy is delicious, no?

I plan to stay up late and watch as much coverage as i can, while knitting and hopefully going to bed with a celebratory bottle of beer. Well, first I will drink the beer, then get in bed. I wouldn't drink in bed, that seems sort of too slovenly, even for me. Plus I could fall asleep and make a mess. I left the days of my bed reeking of beer behind me about a year or so out of college. But yes, I hope to have a celebratory drink tonight. I have had enough consolation drinks.

2 comments:

nancyrosetta said...

I'll have a beer with you!
I voted this morning, with the masses.
I remain hopeful as well.

Vicki said...

Cheers!!

My first celebratory drink in too long.