Friday, March 27, 2009

Let's Do the Time Warp Again!

Well, hello there stranger. Long time, no see.

I've been busy this week. That whole thing about March going out like a lamb, what does that mean? That's a temperature thing, right? It is mighty pleasant here, but only lamb-like (lamby, lambish, lambitous...we'll stick with lamb-like) if lambs are awfully busy little creatures.

Maya is doing better again. We have to go soon and have blood work done and buy more pills. Ya know, I don't want to though. I don't want her on pills anymore. I don't know that they are the right thing anymore. I mean if they were totally what is working for her, then she wouldn't have any days where she pees her pants, right? The other day I came home to find her pressed against the door to her crate, and her crate was filled with pee. It was such a copious amount of pee that I could only conclude that she tinkled because she couldn't hold it anymore. And I believe this is caused by the pills, since I know that I have told you that a very convenient side effect of them is dry mouth, increased water intake, and increased water output. Also, BF will be arriving in just a few weeks. He is bringing Lilly, Maya's new sister, with him. I think that the company of other dogs is better to her than pills, judging by how she behaved when we were visiting my mother. It's just so hard to say, ya know? The path to mental wellness is so tricky- there are meds, therapies, meds and therapies, meds that aren't the right meds, adjusting to meds, and so on. Adding in the fact that she can't talk further complicates things. Sigh.

I am still loving The Gentle Art of Domesticity. So, so much, in fact. i love it to bits. Every night I read a little- just a little. I stare at the pictures, i read and re-read the passages that appeal to me. Just the other night I caught myself closing it ever so slowly and then hugging it to my chest before setting it down. How funny is that? i just really like the book- originally i was drawn in by the talk of things I like, and the pretty pictures. But now the thing i love most about it was my original biggest fear of the book. i was afraid that it would make me feel like Martha Stewart makes me feel- slovenly, inadequate, and piss poor at making things pretty. This book does quite the opposite. Unlike Martha, the author fully acknowledges that sometimes someone may (gasp!) not have an unlimited amount of hours to spend on somesticity and The Gentle Arts (i just love that they are called The Gentle Arts.). Really what matters is doing what you can, when you can, within your own personal means, so that you fill your home with things that make you and your loved ones happy- the finer things in life, which are coincidentally the most simple. Anyway, it's a glorious book and it's added even more joy to the things I like doing. Not so much joy that I actually finish something, but that's okay. Maybe there's a section later on finishing things.

I love knitting socks, and I expect to show you a whole pair of them by the end of the weekend. that I finished. Won't that be something?

Also, somehow it turns out that I have a big vacation in the works after all. Originally BF and I were going to take a trip. Then we decided that it was a Bad Idea. then I changed our minds by getting each of us some tickets to see Phish at The Gorge in August. This will be the culmination of our trip in which we go to San Francisco, Washington, CA, two days of wandering up the coast, then George, Washington, then finally Seattle and then home. I'm so excited. Apparently I lived in California for a year when i was little, but I don't really remember. So, this will be my first REAL trip to the West Coast, and it has really become something to look forward to. Hey Other Southerners: out There, In The West, even in summer at night time they wear jackets and stuff! In August! Can you imagine? The thought of that alone will get me through the month of July, when it becomes sweltering hot. Have I mentioned that I am excited? Also, is it wrong that as soon as I started to arrange this trip, I thought right away of all the time I would have for knitting? And that this presented me with a place to take my knitting needle case? It may not Make The Most Sense Financially, but you know what? You can't take it with you. Did I tell you i am excited?

Finally, I suggest wholeheartedly that you rent Milk if you have not done so thus far. It is a beautiful movie. I loved every second of it, and I cried and cried at the end.

Well, I hope you have a fantastic weekend! Practice the Gentle Arts. Or the Martial Arts. And Crafts.

4 comments:

froghair said...

you're gonna be in seattle?!? I hope you'll let me treat you to the best danged donut place in town!

Holly said...

Ya know, I eat donuts roughly two times a year, and I am willing to schedule one of those times in Seattle! I don't know if this has been said yet, but I'm excited!

froghair said...

excellent! I'm excited too! my email addy is amslusser [at] gmail [dot] com. woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

Dear Holly,

I think another dog may just dang do the trick you know. We live in hope!

I love that you love your book.