Thursday, January 15, 2009

Inspiration, Organization, and Thoughts on the Color Orange

Don't you love it when you think and think and think and think on something, and don't arrive at the solution till you stop thinking about what it is you were thinking about? Did you catch that?

Anyway, I had just sort of given up the hope that my Office/Evil Den of Crafty Mayhem would ever be a place where I truly liked to be. It's devoid of personality, and any attempts at interjecting some have just failed. The best I came up with was a tropical print steno chair. Oof. Anyway, I figured I would just never find the right color combo, and then just like that, I did.

I went to the fabric store looking for two fabrics to do a recovering type thing for my cork tiles. I wanted one to hold things that I wanted handy, but didn't want to poke holes in. (I'm looking at you, checkbook! Outta the underwear drawer!) And lo and behold, I found a combination that made me so sublimely happy I couldn't stand it:



I love green and orange together, and I mainly just love all things green. But with my bedroom being all foresty and woodsy feeling, and the living room feeling calm yet fun, I wanted something that would say "Get off your ass and make something! And put things back where you found them, dammit!" Orange says that to me. It's like an epiphany! Yay orange!

And, yay pockets, yay things on the wall where I can find/see/remember them, and just.....yay.

Now, let's talk about orange for a minute. After this occurred to me, I did what I always do. I bought stuff and then did nothing with it. For a while. Then after doing this, and being an out and proud orange lover, I realized I knew what I wanted to do with an awesome peice of furniture I have for this room. (It's sort of a secret project. That way I can put off doing anything about it. Heehee.) Anyhow, I bought some fun fabric (On sale!) for it, and went in search of orange paint. I went to Lowes, and took home paint samples. Let me tell you something: unless you do their fun color matching thing, there isn't a really good, vibrant, ballsy orange to be had. In bringing them home and also looking at them in the sun, they are all some salmon-ish, terra cotta-like, polite...eh. I can't even get worked up about them, and people, I get worked up about pincushions. So, I will be heading back soon to try the color matching once I realized I want some paint in the exact color of my orange socks. I am just sort of sad that all color-maker-paint-chip-type folks think anyone wants is for color to be polite. I think that the occasional eye-searing shade of whatever floats your boat is necessary.

So, now that I finally have a direction in which to go, I'm looking forward to beating this room into submission and making it a place that I want to be in. Oh and learning how to put things away, that will the kicker.

No comments: