Saturday, January 31, 2009

What's That They Say About Dogs Resembling Their Owners?

Oh dear.

If dogs really do resemble their owners, I should be on anxiety medication too.

Maya went to the vet yesterday and was her usual scared-shitless-but-super-sweet self. On her chart it was noted on her last visit that she is "Painfully Shy." Poor thing.

So after spending $225, she has been vaccinated against any and every thing there is to be vaccinated against (including kennel cough and some other lypsoblahblahblah thing that she can catch at the dog park- Oy.), and she got a total body work up and some anti-anxiety meds. Holy smokes. But now we know for sure that she is physically healthy, and just crazy.

I love Maya and Charlie's vet, and I'll tell you why. They are expensive, but they have the latest technology and for some reason, that makes me feel really good. Every single vet there is a woman, and some of them are at the forefront of procedures and other animal medicine type stuff. All of them are kind and compassionate and supportive, and it just makes me feel a little smug when I leave there knowing that there's this thriving, cutting edge veterinary practice run by all women. It's cool. They also have a full operatory, a behaviorist on staff, and just offer all around support for your pets over and above making sure they won't foam at the mouth for a while.

So anyway.

We went to the pet superstore today and (after pooping in the aisle- her, not me I promise) we got some pee pads, some pill pockets, and a safety cue in the form of an orange squeaky cat. Oh and some more poop bags and surprisingly, we left having spent this week's grocery money on this stuff, but feeling good about our plans to make this better.

I am refusing to give up hope on this dog. She is SO trying sometimes, but at this point I feel like giving up on her would be the biggest failure ever. She CAN be normal, she CAN live without me for longer than 4 hours at a stretch, and she CAN overcome this. She has to.

2 comments:

sweetcheese said...

You (and she) can totally do it! I feel like so many people would not put a lot of effort into helping a dog, so it is nice to hear about someone who isn't willing to give up. Good luck!

Holly said...

thanks so much for the encouragement! We'll take all the luck we can get.