Monday, February 23, 2009

The Only Thing That Stifles Creativity More Than Cat Balls

is doing your taxes.

Yeah, you heard it here first. I know this because I did mine tonight. I am very happy to have crossed them off my list of things to do, but shit- it's boring and stressful (one of my absurd phobias, along with something happening to my teeth, is the IRS. I am scared of them. I don't make a lot of money, have colorful or dubious deductions, and tell the absolute truth to them every year. And ever year I tremble in fear that they will see my little old return come through, and WHAM! stamp it with a big red "DENIED!!!" stamp and audit me till I cry uncle. Or worse, swoop in through my windows on ropes and demand that I hand over my checkbook. Of course, I may or may not be able to find it, depending on if it is or isn't in my underwear drawer. Shut up, I told you this was an absurd fear. I can make it as silly and dramatic as I like. Actually I have no control over it, just as I have no control over covering whole topics inside parentheses.)...and now I have no idea where I was. My brain is fried.

Oh yes, I did my taxes.

and now that I am done with them, I have no room in my brain for anything but lists, budgets, to do's, and things of that sort. What a shame. What a waste of an evening. I mean, not exactly- keeping the Feds (hopefully, fingers crossed!) off your back is a worthwhile endeavor for sure. But when you have your ironing board all set up with a stack of cut and pinned fabric on it...eh. I'm just not in the mood.

Do you have a hard time changing gears like that? I sure do. I am envious of people who live creatively, are work at home artists, moms, or just people who are able to integrate creating into their lives more seamlessly than I. I mean, I will probably knit while I watch tonight's trash tv, but if anything at this point it is because I demand that the scarf submit to me, and hurry up and be done. I have demanded this of said scarf for a while, but it has only recently come to my attention that the act of knitting on something produces much more speedy and satisfactory results than squawking at it does.

1 comment:

Ricë said...

omigod, i have the SAME fear. only they bust down the door and have tommy guns and wear trenchcoats and dark shades and have cigars.

still the same phobia, though. and i even know someone who works for the IRS. she scares the crap out of me, and i keep wanting to check her closet for the coat and gun case.