Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Operation Anxiety, Day 3: Introducing Hector

Everyone, meet Hector the Safety Cat. Hector, meet everyone.


Today we introduced Hector the Safety Cat. Hector will be help with the desensitization of being alone for Miss Maya. He's her Safety Cue, and I think he's very cute.

Today was not a Dry Crate Day. I came home from lunch to find quite a bit of tinkle in her crate. But I just cleaned it up and was happy to come home this afternoon to a quiet, calm, and very relaxed dog laying in her crate. She has stopped the frantic whining that accompanies my opening the front door. I have also had to change the way I come into the house- quietly, no talking, and going to see her last after I do all the Coming Home Things. That's tough, but she's doing well with that.

She is responding to the uber-goofy things we do to distinguish her associations with my Leaving Routine. That means putting on shoes and socks at 11pm, and then going to sit back down on the couch. I'm carrying around my car keys, and randomly packing up my purse and putting on jackets. It feels terribly silly, but she seems to pretty much no longer give a shit that I have shoes on or keys in my hand.

And that's why we are now using Hector to signify that Mom Will Be Back, and that we are going to have a manageable absence. I hope he works.

I am trying to keep track of little changes I notice in Maya's behavior. There's no more whining when I come home. Walks are becoming more pleasant. She reacts to things on the walk with either less panic, or caution replacing sheer terror. Some things she's even curious about. Some of the trembling has given way to only the smallest of shaking in one muscle in her hind leg. She's trying; I know she is.

She's totally bored with all this anxiety talk too. I promise to keep it to more of a minimum now.


In the meantime, I would like to say that I have a few projects on the needles, some sewing to do, and I am loving my new schedule. The days are just flying by around here for me. How about you?

I hope to whip up all sorts of things to show you soon that have nothing to do with Safety Cats and urine. Don't hold your breath though- the theatrics involved with behavior modification are surprisingly time consuming.

2 comments:

nancyrosetta said...

Hmmm, safety cat, not sure how he works, but I am happy that Maya is getting less sketchy. Keep doing what you're doing!

I can't wait to see what projects you are knitting and sewing up!

Holly said...

Thanks Nancy!

Hector signifies a manageable absence. I give her the cat toy and then leave the house for increasing increments of time throughout the day. We are up to about a minute now. She is beginning to associate him with me leaving, but coming back very soon- that way she won't panic and get to the full blown anxiety stage.

It feels really silly, but it's our only hope so we're going for it.