Sunday, February 8, 2009

When Good Things Happen to Crazy People

It's so nice to have nothing to really complain about. I mean, this week has been strangely awesome. Really! It seems that here lately everything has been either Wrong, Harder Than It Has To Be, Out of Whack or at the very least Just A Bit Off. So it's very nice to be able to say nothing but good things.

First, there's the current Star of the Blog, Maya. She went to play with her friends on Friday night and was SO happy to see them. And when the dogs all came indoors, Maya wandered around and said hello to all the People there, instead of pacing anxiously and then deciding to sit by the door, far away from Everyone. The changes in her are noticeable to other people too! It makes me feel sort of validated, like I'm not just making up improvements in my head to keep from being nuts about her costly medication. She's having a lazy Sunday under the afghan her grandma made a long long time ago.

In knitting news, I am back to knitting for my favorite recipient me. I finished the Hat Fit For A Boyfriend for BF. I tried it on and it fits me great, so hopefully since it's stretchy it should fit his slightly-larger-yet-seemingly-sometimes-empty head. I should not say that his head is empty, because he has possibly firmly planted himself on the Knitworthy list. When I asked him what else he wanted (since he treated himself to the fancy headphones I was going to get him. Grr) he said, "The hat's plenty! Besides, you MADE it, so it's great." It was like the heavens opened up and angels sang because of that comment. I think that's what we call Appreciation of Things Handmade, and obviously Very Important.
And then on Saturday morning, I got up Very Early to be at the local yarn store when it opened. It was Annual Sale day! I felt all self-righteous when I left because I only spent $70 and did what I set out to do- I bought local, I bought Better rather than More, and also I made a list ahead of time and bought only what I needed for specific projects. And there's something thrilling about sales, although let me tell ya: there are sales, and then there are Sales At A Yarn Store. I had to judo chop an old lady to get to the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, and I'd do it again if I had to. While fondling some other yarn I thought one woman was going to pull a knife on me. The moral of the story is don't cross a knitter on sale day, folks. You could easily lose an eye or worse. Here's the Miski Baby Llama yarn I bought for a capelet (it's just disgustingly soft and I love it so much I want to marry it)
and here's the Alpaca With A Twist Highlander tweedy yarn that is also super soft, squishy, and will be next winter's hat, mittens, and cowl set. I won't be caught off guard by all the random cold snaps, and I will probably wear the set in August because although that would be terribly silly, there's something just so very right about purple tweed alpaca No Matter What. It's the little things, people.

And here is the very best thing, the thing that matters more than yarn and hats and dogs, even. This week a big huge wonderful thing happened, and there was a Change of Plans. I have been working up the nerve to announce to you that I was moving 750 miles away to live with BF. This was to happen at the end of March. It's been in the works for months and I wasn't fully prepared emotionally to handle leaving my job during a recession, and leaving my Whole Life behind. Well, it seems I don't have to because he is moving here! Soon we won't have to cry at airports, or have massive cell phone bills, or do any of that stuff. It's very exciting. And the yarn came about as a result of me figuring that things would be tight for us while he searched for jobs and both moved (his dog is coming with so we need to move to a house with a yard for the sake of all of us). I rationalized that while all the fancy yarn was on sale, I should grab some and then it will keep me occupied and offer some stress relief while we get used to seeing each other every day and not having any money to do stuff (I realize that the logic there is a bit wonky, but I am going with it and you can't stop me.). This is just so exciting. I can't stand it. Really, I can't.

And now here it is, Sunday, and I have lots of sewing projects that need to be sewn (finally). I hope that the week and weekend has been just as busy, exciting, productive, and whatever else for all of you.

No comments: