Monday, February 2, 2009

Operation Anxiety, Day 1

Well hello there, February. I didn't see you come in.

This here is the face of anxiety. I am hoping to turn this into a modeling opportunity, and maybe she can take the place of that insipid spaniel that is on the front of her pill bottle now. Her modeling money could defray the costs of treatment. You know, teach a man to fish. That sort of thing. (Maybe for her actual model shoot her ear will be better)

Today was the third day of medication, and the first real day of Operation Anxiety. I thought it prudent to put down pee pads in Maya's crate to soak up her Panic Pee. She thought it prudent to destroy them. Then she panicked and peed upon them anyhow. But, it made for a fun cleaning adventure that I doubt we will be repeating soon. I don't know what I was thinking, giving her the equivalent of two Giant Paper Towels and going off to work.

And so, tomorrow we begin anew. I have changed my schedule for work so that I go in at 10 and leave at 7pm. I'm hoping this gives me all the time I need to get her long walk in the morning, practice some behavior modifications, and then go into work.

It turns out that what i thought was a cut on her toe is an entirely missing toenail. Completely gone. So the little nubbin of flesh that lives inside a toenail is exposed now, and bleeds every so often. We have styptic powder to stop it, but licking it and tromping about in the wooded areas aren't so good for that little flesh nubbin. That combined with some light rain meant that we skipped our long walk today. I am hoping that she is a bit more healed up tomorrow so that we can make a nice long morning of it.

****************************

I would also like to assure you that this blog will not be nothing but the saga of overcoming Separation Anxiety. I have been knitting and I am hoping that the change in hours will make it much easier for me to use the time I feel most creative and busy (late evening) instead of trying to wind down and go to sleep. I promise to show you more botched and not-so-botched projects right away.

2 comments:

nancyrosetta said...

I hope your change in schedule solves her problem.

I think I see doggie diapers in Maya's future..

Ricë said...

i'm thinking about you both. remember that even human anti-anxiety drugs take some time to work. i won't mention how long, but i will say: hang in there. we're sending you strength. also more pee pads.