Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Bulletin Board Gets a New Lease on Life

Okay, first of all, sorry for the not so awesome pics. But hey, there are pics! and that, my dears, is what we like to call improvement.

Today, my boss gave me a surprise day off! No real reason, I guess he just realized that there was also no real reason for us to be at work. I love days like this. I get so much done because i am still in productive mode from the work week, so I get things done. It's great!

I have already worked up about three blog posts and finished up a bunch of stuff. I am going to string them along some though, and that way you will be spared from too terribly many posts that are strictly about my day, or about beef stroganoff or complaints about my lack of WIP pics with regard to knitting. I finished the July knit along, just in time no less! and by finished, I mean went and got a button and everything! But here, thanks to How About Orange?

I was able to do a little upcycling and begin the spiffing up of the office process.

the before shot:

I got this bulletin board along with my first desk. I believe I was in second grade, but it may have been third. That was the year that my mom's gay best friend made me a copy of Madonna's "Like a Prayer" on cassette, and censored it. He wasn't sure if my mom would let me listen to blasphemous pop, but she was pretty cool and didn't mind. Anyway, the sticker on the left came with a bathing suit I got in 7th grade. The sticker on the right is a dreadful sticker I got at a Panic show a few years ago. I can't remember, but I really hope I didn't pay for it. Until last year, the frame was a yellowy-white plastic. I painted it with some crazy green acrylic. Not sure what I was thinking, but I would not call it an improvement.

The supplies:


Tacks and the little coverable buttons are the only things I bought. the rest is just glue in various forms and some fabric I got off etsy when someone was destashing.

TA DA! The finished product:


Cute little (and big) thumbtacks on a very much improved bulletin board. I see a few places that I need to fix up a little bit, but for the most part, I think that it is going to look great above my monitor. And all for about $3, and done while watching two episodes of Home Improvement, and half an episode of Just Shoot Me. I love the contrast of the pink and red with the fame and the dotted pins. I think that if you are going to give a bulletin board a makeover, you should really go all out.

No comments: