Monday, September 15, 2008

Bow Chicka Wow Wow

OH hurray.

This is all the yarn I dyed up over the weekend. First of all, here is the blue from the Kool-Aid dyed yarn from frogged sweaters. It was doing nothing for me.
Here it is in the dyepot:
And here it is all wound up nice and pretty:



Now here's the one that I did on Friday night. this one the skein got all tangly when I was trying to get it ready and I spent a LOOOOONG time getting it all straightened out. Well, remember on Friday night when I said that I was worried about how it turned out? I actually like it a whole lot. It looked nothing like this in my head whatsoever. I set out for it to be something totally different. Thank goodness it wound up looking like this because I already have yarn that looks like what I wanted this to look like, and well- I think that is plenty. I had a hard enough time finding something to do with that yarn, this will make a nice.....something. Anyway here it is:



this one was next. In my head I was using the haindpainting method to get something sort of tweedy. I wanted it to be burgundy with little pops of color all over. Well, it didn't work out that way at all. It wound up being just burgundy but it isn't totally hideous and I may find some use for it someday. Matter of fact I sort of love it and I am going to try this trick again, just with less dye maybe.



now this- this one I am really pleased with. I went shopping this weekend for stuff to wear to a wedding coming up and fall stuff is out and it made me wish for fall so badly. It's still in the 90's here and it makes me so miserable I could puke. Anyway, I think that this totally cliche fall colors are really disappointing. These are not the colors I aimed for at all, but hey live and learn and make really ugly armwarmers or fingerless gloves or mitts or something fun. I tried to do this from a self striping yarn tutorial, so I really want to see if it actually worked, and I think that some mitts would work out good for that. I should have gone with my gut and used the amazing pine-y color green I came up with before I got to what was supposed to be a deep chestnut brown. Argh. Always go with your gut. One thing that I do like about our winters here is that until probably January or so, you are okay with stuff like scarves and hats and t-shirts and fleeces. I would rather be covered head to toe in a t-shirt with an annoying saying, ill fitting jeans and hand knits than hiding under my big old ski jacket which I fear will be even more snug this year that it was last year. Eeep.



Okay well I have decided that I love dying yarn and now that I know that I should put it away for a while because my cabinet is overflowing and I really should be knitting out of it instead of adding to it.

No comments: