Monday, December 15, 2008

I am Oriented

Saturday I went to Orientation to work at the shelter!

I am really excited about getting started. they are very flexible about when you come and, I'd like to try to be there at least 2 hours a week. i would love to do more, but they close by the time I get off work and are not open on Sundays, so really Fridays and Saturdays are the only times I can go.

I have a list of animals I want.

First off, I want to take home a little hound mix named Schroeder. He looks sort of like Maya, but like he may have some other sort of hound mixed with foxhound, and he is more black and brown with white bits, and a pink tummy like Maya's. A staff member was in his enclosure with him, petting him and talking to him, and he was pressed against the wall, trembling. Now who does that sound like? I want to take him home, but I know I can't. I can't afford him, I don't have the room, and mostly I don't have the energy for another Maya. I can't carry two scared doggies around, and I am already pushing it bringing Maya to work every day- I think two is asking a lot. Way too much, in fact. I don't think I can spare the effort where Maya is concerned either. But I still want him.

Second, I want to take home a handsome older gentleman named Hairy Gary. I laughed so hard while typing that. I am picturing some icky perv at a strip club with gold chains and a pelt of back hair, aren't you? Nope, this guy was a brown striped guy in the Senior Citizen Kitty Room. He let me hold him, and purred a lot. He seemed grateful for the attention, which as a cat owner is a truly foreign concept to me. I thought cats prided themselves on their ability to ignore you unless you have yarn or seafood.

Thirdly, I want all the other puppies, kittens, and i think there was a bunny that caught my eye as well. I'm starting to think this may be a bad idea.

Other than the fact that I will probably look at this day the way that people think about their first time shooting up: the Day Things Changed Forever. Yeah, I'm on the hard stuff now- I'm mainlining homeless cats and kittens. God save me.

altogether i feel really good about this. I feel like this is some way for me to get over the holiday blahs, and make Not Being a Total Slug a year long thing. This is the only chance I've got: i can't stand children, I am scared of old people, and as a unit, I don't like people. Sorry, I just don't. I like individual people, and in some abstract way I feel compassion for the plights of all sorts of folks, but not in the way that I feel about animals who don't have someone to love them.

What do you mean, what's that kitten doing in my pocket? It's not mine, I swear. I'm just holding it for a friend.

3 comments:

greentara said...

Oh, fun! I volunteer at my local humane society, too, although I haven't been there in about 4 months because of school (note, must go there poste haste!). It is hard to love on all those animals and then leave them, but when you start coming in and animals are not there because they were adopted is SUCH a good feeling; knowing they are going to good homes, and you helped that animal in some small way to be a better pet for his/her new family.

Ricë said...

omigod, run! flee, flee. for, my dear, you are me. a younger me, granted, but me, nontheless. you don't like children. you like animals better than people. you have a decided soft spot for The Furry Unloved.

i worked at animal control for 4 years, at a vet's for a year, and at the SPCA part-time for 2. i couldn't do it today. i was much tougher in my 20's.

you're doing a Good Thing. much luck to you--soon you'll be looking for a bigger house with a yard, stables, a fenced-in field for the horses. . . .

Holly said...

I WANT A PONY!!! Please excuse the 6-year-old that just crawled out of my subconcious.

I think that for now it will be easy to say no, since my firm rule in place is that no other living things can take up residence in my house without showing me their two most recent pay stubs. But soon when I move to a bigger place...

We may foster some animals. With the economy the way it is, pets are the first thing people cut back on. So maybe I can just take some on loan. Animals are the only thing you can get on loan these days- scary thought!