Thursday, December 25, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Summer

Merry Christmas, if that's your thing.

Today was the un-Christmas for me, and I found it sort of nice. If you are wanting to see pics of family in festive pajamas or goofy sweaters, or mounds of toys, or beautifully decorated tables full of wonderful home cooked food- you've come to the wrong blog. Quick, leave before something icky touches your reindeer sweater!

First of all, I spent both Christmas Eve and Christmas day totally alone, save for an interaction with a gas station clerk and my animals. I will admit that I moped about a bit yesterday and I even cried a little. I started to care just a little too late, I guess. But don't worry- apathy returned just as quickly as it left.

I ate ice cream for my Christmas Eve dinner, and then today had smoked oysters and crackers with Cheese-In-A-Can, and shared some with Maya. Now I'm full on tempura shrimp and feeling quite content. I am also full of chai tea- this time I mixed up a batch for me and only me, and I tracked down some instant black tea online, and bought just enough. It's got a stronger flavor and less sediment at the bottom, and I love it. Fat and happy, that's me.

Reading though people's blogs, I am alternately jealous and thankful that my weather isn't like the rest of the country. Everywhere else there's snow piled up all over and it's cold out. Here- it felt like it was a March day. The thermometer in my car read 78 degrees at one point and the sun was shining brightly. Just a beautiful day- the perfect day for Maya to go try something new.
The dog and I hopped in the car and headed to the beach. I figured we may as well do up un-Christmas right and go for a walk in the sand. We did just that- and we even stuck our toes in the ocean. It was chilly, but fun to do just so I could say we did it. Maya waded into a tide pool, and seemed very surprised that it got deeper very quickly- and yet continued to wade further in while making it very obvious she wanted out. It was funny, even though she shivered a bit afterwards. Typical Maya walking ensues- just when I think it can't get more pleasant for us to stroll along and look at birds and wave at people, a switch flips in her and she wants to be stubborn like a mule. So, the Gentle Leader went on. God, how she hates that thing. All in all, I think the trip to the beach went well.

Then we came home and both had cookies, and she took an un-Christmas nap and I got to work. I can't wait to show you the magic I worked on my office. I even took a pic to show you the height of chaos. Oh, and I found those missing greeting cards. Hee hee.

And then I still felt like I needed a pick me up. So at my mother's suggestion (for a crazy person she sure is wise sometimes) I watched Obama's Acceptance Speech. That really did the trick. It's 17 minutes of everything you could want on Christmas Day: joy, hope, peace, and the promise of good days to come. Then I got another pick me up by reading this post on the Yarn Harlot. Then I started thinking about how good I really do have it, then started planning a great summer trip with BF, and now I'm just feeling ridiculously good.

I just love this time of year, particularly when Christmas is over, and I can breathe and look forward to the year ahead. And eat ice cream for breakfast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to come and stay with you next year. All I did was work making everyone else happy.
Will you tell me where you and the BF are going next summer?