Monday, December 1, 2008

Cookies.

Do you like peanut butter cookies? Maya does. I bet her dog friends do too. That's why I made some.

they are too cute. I have been saving my pickle jars (I buy the medium ones, and sometimes several a week, I'm afraid) and now I am slowly filling them to the brim with little peanut buttery bones. I would fill them a lot faster if my Quality Control Foxhound didn't love them so much.

She gets to keep the big ones, which I only really made because I wanted to play with all the cutters in the 3 piece set. They are too cute, each batch makes easily 70 little bones, and it costs next to nothing to make them. I feel comfortable endorsing this recipe, because my doggie is a picky eater, and she does not usually get excited about dry treats. At best, she is ambivalent about cookies- unless her mom makes them. Here's a heavily modified recipe (modified because I didn't have all the stuff and was too lazy to hunt it all down):

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (feel free to add much more. the dogs won't mind)
some water (just keep adding 1/4 cups of it till you get a pasty, doughy consistency you like)
a bit of flax seed or some flax seed oil if you have it

mix it all up real good, then roll it out on a floured surface. I just mushed it out with my hands because it looks more home made (with love, of course) and cute with a non-uniform surface. Cookie cut them up in whatever shape you like, and then put them in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes or so. cool completely before serving to your doggie friends and store in an airtight container, such as a pickle jar. serve and win the adoration of furry beasts far and wide.

I got the cookie cutters on eBay, and I am having tons of fun baking them up. Maya is having tons of fun eating them. Maya is giving them to her friends this year for Christmas. I was surprised last night by how many lucky doggies are on her list. It's a good thing all the ingredients are cheap, because Foxhounds don't really have a lot of money to spend on things like cookies.

No comments: