Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Upcycling DIY Day

I think that everyone is aware that not too long ago my fish ran away. Stop laughing; it isn't funny. I kept his room just the way he left it in case he decided to come back. When it became apparent to me that he would not be coming back, I figured it was time to upcycle his old house.

That's where this tutorial comes in. I thought it was time to give building my very own terrarium a try. A quick run to a few stores (including the pet store where I did not buy ONE THING for either Maya or Charlie. Impressive!) and I was ready to go. Here are the supplies:

and because you are more than capable of reading the tutorial yourself, I took no in-progress shots. But here's the finished product:
Sorta cute, huh? Those too strange things in the front are just, well, strange. I hope they last, but I am pretty sure they won't. However, the little plastic deer will. I had no idea I even had that guy. He came as a bonus gift along with a bunch of odd little miniatures I bought on Etsy once. So did the ballerina. I had much loftier plans for her, but I could not find a Tyrannasaurus Rex the right size. Oh well, the terrarium will just have to be a work in progress. Still, it is a decided improvement over an algae-filled abandoned fish tank, don't you think?

I do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice little garden there
our Sushi has moved to the big pond down by the river
his house now holds nails I find in the street

Holly said...

Thanks!

I wish I knew where Nasty Nate went. He didn't leave a note or anything. :(

Kerry said...

Nice. Good Upcycle.

Bonnie made me one of those for Christmas this past year. But mine has a lid and now, roots growing up the walls of the jar. So cool. I have to find some cool things to hide inside it.

Hmmm... beads from the bad bead jar maybe?

Holly said...

Good idea Kerry! I am still crushed over the t rex. I wanted to find put the ballerina in his mouth so badly. Some other time I guess.

I was also thinking of an army man or cowboy and indian thing going on, but I guess kids can't be bothered to play with that stuff anymore.