Friday, August 15, 2008

In Which A Wonder Cat Goes to The Vet


I am filing this post under the Charlie label, but if I felt like making a more accurate one, it would be something like, "OMG are you fucking KIDDING ME?!?!?!" Now that I think about it that would be a great label- very useful.

Anyway.

I took Charlie to the vet the other day. Nothing important, just an annual exam and shots, and to get him switched over to the new fancy shiny vet that Maya has been seeing. They are terrific; I love them. Well, we got to the portion of the program where the nice vet lady looks in his mouth. Now his teeth don't look like Austin Powers' teeth or anything, but they are not Simon Cowell's either. Ha, I am now laughing hysterically thinking about my sweet little kitty cat having giant bright white crazy chicklet teeth. Ha! So they tell me it's most likely time for a cleaning. I begrudgingly agree, because we have been heading towards a dental cleaning for 3 years now, easy. So the exam ends and then the little vet nurse gal comes back in to give me a quote.

Uh huh.

The low end of what it would cost to clean Charlie's teeth is $350. Three hundred and fifty dollars!!! That is INSANE! Now before you go telling me that they sedate them and blah blah blah, I know that. I KNOW. But come on- I can go to see Dr. Hotass and get like 3 fillings and half a cleaning for that!
So now I am moving on to figuring out alternatives. I will buy the stupid tartar control treats. I will try again with the toothpaste. I will consider hitting him over the head with a frying pan and cleaning the teefs myself. I am not above sewing a little kitty cat straight jacket for him and doing it that way. But $350 for a kitty teeth cleaning? You are out of your fucking mind. I will let him just keep cleaning his teeth using the method pictured above. I think he's got a handle on it, don't you?

No comments: