Saturday, August 2, 2008

Upcycling?

I first stumbled across this word a month or two ago while (shocker) perusing blogs. I believe it was in a blog post discussing recycling yarn. Anyway, i really liked the concept. I am all for recycling and using things over again. It's good for the environment, and I love the idea of being able to give something a new purpose, or even just a makeover. It can do wonders, ya know.

Here's the definition from Wikipedia:

Upcycling is the use of waste materials to provide useful products. Ideally, it is a reinvestment in the environment and embodiment of the notion that while using resources one is also contributing to them and their value. This is antithesis of the consume and waste concept in society.

"Upcycling is the practice of taking something that is disposable and transforming it into something of greater use and value."[citation needed]

The term upcycling was coined by William McDonough and Michael Braungart, authors of Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things.

So I guess I can accept that definition. It's a bit fancy for me, but I like the idea of taking something and not only using it again, but using it again either better or having it be prettier while using it. And this concept lends itself beautifully to before and after pics, and you know I love those.



No comments: